Please notice first the comments at Revelation 22:6,7,20. It is my firm belief that Jesus is coming quickly and it helps explain why.
I find a common theme in the book of Revelation. That is: God’s people will have to straighten their worship to God. And in so doing, will have to undergo tribulation from the nations for about three and a half years. But once they have been tested as to their loyalty to God and his son the “Lamb,” they are accepted to rule with the Lord over the earth. There will be tribulation that has never been seen. But when God’s kingdom is set up, blessings will be bestowed upon those who submit! Compare this with Daniel chapter 7.
John receives the visions
Jesus knocking at our door
The Glory of the Lamb
The first seal of seven seals of the scroll given to the lamb is opened. The ride of the four horsemen begins.
Revelation 6:1-8 ( ) This denotes a time of not just tribulation but great tribulation and authorized conquest (vs.2). This time period fits in with Satan being “hurled” to the earth – Which is also the start of the three and a half years of tribulation and the start of Jesus’ rule in heaven – See timeline . This time period seems to describe mainly the three and a half years of tribulation – Although there will still be tribulation of sorts for some after the three and a half tribulation period. The first six seals seem to represent events described in this entire chapter including chapter 7:1-8. The seventh seal is described starting with chapter 8. I also believe (mainly because of the timeframe) that the four angels mentioned at Revelation 7:2 are not the same as the four horsemen of Revelation 6. The “great day of their wrath” (Revelation 6:17) seems to be referring to “the face of the One seated on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb” (vs.16) which would be immediately after the 45 day period. The four horsemen (Revelation 6:1-8) seem to be let loose at the start of the three and a half period of tribulation.
Revelation 6:2 mentions a “white horse; and the one seated upon it had a bow; and a crown was given him, and he went forth conquering and to complete his conquest.” This could refer to Jesus or it could refer to a king or kings given authority by Satan or Jehovah to carry out their work during the three and a half year time of tribulation. If it referred to Jesus, this ride of the four horsemen would be encompassing a longer period then the three and a half years of tribulation – which is a possibility. However, it also could represent a nation or group of nations given authority to conquer. My best guess is that it represents the one(s) causing; “But there will be reports that will disturb him, out of the sunrising and out of the north” (See Daniel 11:40-45 comments)
Revelation 6:9-11 ( ) I believe this to be very important to understand. The main group is identified as: “the souls of those slaughtered because of the word of God and because of the witness work that they used to have.” and “killed as they also had been.” – So this shows us that it definitely includes those faithful disciples of Christ who underwent grievous trials from long ago. Another group is introduced to us as “their fellow slaves and their brothers who were about to be killed as they also had been.” – So we are introduced to two different groups that are separated by two different times of testing. The first group is given “a white robe” and they ask; “Until when, Sovereign Lord holy and true, are you refraining from judging and avenging our blood upon those who dwell on the earth?” – This shows the two groups are in different locations – earth and heaven. Their question is answered “and they were told to rest a little while longer, until the number was filled also of their fellow slaves and their brothers..” – So the number had to be filled “also of their fellow slaves” (vs.11) and they had to rest a little while. The resting fits in with the three and a half year period where Jesus prepares his kingdom and the “brothers” are fully tested on earth. This fits in with Zechariah 3:1-9 where “Joshua the high priest” is standing before Jehovah “in befouled garments” and is given “the clean turban upon his head and to clothe him with garments”; and “you and your companions who are sitting before you..” This also seems to fit with Zechariah 14:1-2 where “…And half of the city must go forth into the exile; but as for the remaining ones of the people, they will not be cut off from the city.” Compare also Zechariah 5:3; 1 Corinthians 15:23; Revelation 11:1-3; Revelation 14:4 comments and Micah chapters 2 and 4. Regarding the number to be filled: This is very interesting to me because we know of the number of 144,000 who are sealed and chosen (Revelation 7:3) but the interesting question is: Is this number of 144,000 of the first group or the second group or it it both groups combined? This question is partly based upon 1 Chronicles 27:1-22 where there were a total of 288,000 who were to minister to David the king. And we know Jesus inherited the throne from David. This question is not critical but it is interesting. My guess, for right now (about 99.9% sure), is that it is a total of 288,000 (could be more but “half” (Zechariah 14:2) would need to be interpreted more clearly). Although the measuring of the wall equaled 144,000 in many ways, it showed that it was “straight”, able to be measured. (Revelation 21). See Revelation 7:1-8; 11:2-3; 20:4 comments.
Revelation 6:11; “…that they should rest yet a little while– until the number should be made full of their fellow-servants..” – Emphasized Bible. “..and it was told them to rest yet for a Time, till both their FELLOW-SERVANTS and their BRETHREN, who were about to be killed even as they, should be completed.” – Emphatic Diaglott. “… and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.” – King James Version. “…and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little time, until their fellow-servants also their brethren, who should be killed even as they were, should have fulfilled their course.” – American Standard Version (1901). “…and they were told to rest a little while longer, until the tally should be complete of all their brothers in Christ’s service who were to be killed as they had been.” – THE NEW ENGLISH BIBLE. “… and told to rest a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brethren should be complete, who were to be killed as they themselves had been.” – REVISED STANDARD EDITION (Second Edition). The New American Bible uses the term “until the number was filled”. THE BIBLE in Living English; “..till the number..” THE NEW JERUSALEM BIBLE; “… until the roll was completed..” New International Version; “… until the number…” The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the GREEK SCRIPTURES; “should be fulfilled” is the direct translation from the Greek word. There is actually not a word for “number” in this Greek text (verse 11) but it seems that the translators try to explain the passage with surrounding context. Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words (1985) page 257 describes Revelation 6:11 under “FULFILL, FULFILLING, FULFILLMENT” as meaning “of number”.
The sixth seal is opened in verse 12
Revelation 6:12-17 ( ) This happens right after the “brothers” are “killed”. This corresponds with “a finishing of the dashing of the power of the holy people to pieces” in Daniel 12:7b and Revelation 11:7 “… the wild beast that ascends out of the abyss will make war with them and conquer them and kill them”. This corresponds to the 45 day period of great fearful repentance of those on the earth. The “great day of their wrath” (Jehovah and the Lamb) occurs during this 45 day period
Revelation 7:1-3 ( ) These four angels hold back the four winds until the slaves of Jehovah are sealed. Revelation 7:1-8 appears to be a further elaboration of events just before Revelation 6:12-17 (compare Revelation 6:11b with Revelation 7:3)
Revelation 7:3-5 The term “sealed” is defined a bit different then the term in Ezekiel 9:4 – See Ezekiel 9:4 comments.
Revelation 7:4-8 ( ) The number mentioned here being sealed seems to be referring to the group of Jehovah’s holy people who just became “dead” and were tested fully (2 Corinthians 1:9) The thought of these verses (1-8) seems to be one of the same – that is referring to the holy people of God who have straightened their worship and are fully tested by experiencing all or part of the three and a half year period noted at Daniel 12:7,11 – Because this appears to be when the sealing is done for this group – The holy ones need to be tested fully. This is the second group of the “two witnesses” mentioned in Revelation 11:2,3 and the “fellow slaves” mentioned in Revelation 6:11 – see also Revelation 14:1-5; 20:4
Revelation 7:9-10 ( ) This “great crowd“, “dressed in white robes” has shown repentance and submission. It seems to be made up of all those who make it through “the great day of their wrath” (Jehovah and the Lamb). This is made more clear in verses 13-17. This would occur after the “wrath” which would be very shortly after Jesus’ return.
Revelation 7:15 “.. and they are rendering him sacred service day and night in his temple..” This does not mean they (the “great crowd”) are of the sealed 144,000 mentioned earlier but they now submit themselves to Jehovah and the Lamb. They have different roles and are different groups. Notice the comments for Ezekiel 9:4 and Revelation 7:3-5.
Here begins the vision of the seven angels that stand before God and they were given seven trumpets. These angels are talked about through chapter 10.
Revelation 8:1 “And when he opened the seventh seal, a silence occurred in heaven for about a half hour.” – This silence seems to be described at Amos 8:2,3 as: “…And Jehovah went on to say to me: “The end has come to my people Israel. I shall no more do any further excusing of them. ‘And the songs of [the] temple will actually be a howling in that day,’ is the utterance of the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, ‘There will be many a carcass. In every place one will certainly throw [them] out–hush!” And Amos 8:11 further describes a famine for the hearing the words of Jehovah. This (Revelation 8:1) seems to describe the three and a half period of testing of Jehovah’s holy people on earth without Jehovah’s spirit so they can be tested fully. This “seventh seal” (which among other things include “seven trumpet” blasts, seems to include events starting with Jesus beginning his reign in heaven all the way through the 1000 year reign (Revelation 11:15-19). // Compare Matthew 24:28
Revelation 8:3,4 “And another angel arrived and stood at the altar, having a golden incense vessel; and a large quantity of incense was given him to offer it with the prayers of all the holy ones upon the golden altar that was before the throne. And the smoke of the incense ascended from the hand of the angel with the prayers of the holy ones before God.” -This is the same time of Zechariah 3:1,2 where Joshua is presented before Jehovah for acceptance. The statement “the smoke of the incense ascended … before God.” is showing God’s acceptance of the first group of the “two witnesses” – See Revelation 11:2,3. This acceptance by or “ascending” before God is the same as Zechariah 3:3-5 where Joshua is pardoned and given “robes of state”.
Revelation 8:5 “But right away the angel took the incense vessel, and he filled it with some of the fire of the altar and hurled it to the earth….”- This is the account at Jeremiah 25:27
Revelation 8:7 thru 9:19 describe the first six “trumpet blasts” – These correspond with the prophetic messages of the “two witnesses” till their “death” at Revelation 11:2-7. The “four angels” mentioned in 9:14 are not the same as Revelation 7:2 or Revelation 6:2-8 because they carry out actions in different time periods. The “four angels” and their actions mentioned at 9:14-19 happen, most likely during the three and a half year time period because some who do not repent remain (Revelation 9:20-21). Keep in mind that the definition for “angels” can mean messenger.
- Revelation 9:2 The term “and the sun was darkened” – see comments for Revelation 16:10
- Revelation 9:16 “And the number of the armies of cavalry was“; 200,000 (Ref. note). This reminds me of the army of insects symbolized as people in Joel chapters 1 and 2 although in Joel, the “insects” were stripping Jehovah’s people bare – Here God’s people are not harmed from these creatures (9:4).
Revelation 10:7 “but in the days of the sounding of the seventh angel, when he is about to blow his trumpet, the sacred secret of God according to the good news which he declared to his own slaves the prophets is indeed brought to a finish.” // It is important to realize when this happens. The Greek word for “about” is “mello” (#3195 – Strong’s Concordance) and is defined as: “..to intend, i.e. be about to be, do, or suffer something..)” // Compare Amos 3:7; The time period of Daniel 11:33-35; 12:7,12; Malachi 3:1; 4:5,6; Revelation 11:15
Revelation 10: 8-11 ( ) This appears to indicate how the messages to the nations from God’s people change from “sweet” to ” bitter”. This is made more evident in chapter 11:5-6.
Revelation 11:1 ( ) It is interesting that three things are mentioned to be measured – That is, they are “straight” so they can be measured – The temple, altar, and those worshipping in it. Those “worshipping in it” would most likely be the first group (of two) who have already been fully tested “to death” as mentioned at Revelation 6:9-11. Compare Zechariah 5:6-11 where the first group would be represented by the measurable “ephah”. See also 1 Corinthians 15:23; Revelation 14:4 “first fruits”; Proverbs 3:5-6 where it shows that those who follow God have their ways made straight (see footnote in the American Standard Version) Contrast Revelation 11:2-3 (things not measured) with Revelation 21:10-21 (things with perfect measurements)
Revelation 11:2-3 ( ) This “courtyard that is outside the temple [sanctuary]” is not measured but “given to the nations” to be trampled upon for 42 months. This event in time corresponds within the three and a half times or 1,290 days mentioned in Daniel 12:7,11 where God’s holy people are cleansed and their power is dashed to pieces so they can be tested fully. They will be in “sackcloth”. This will be a spiritual famine too as one brought out in Amos chapter 8. These “two witnesses” seem to be two groups of holy people who “conquer” Satan’s kingdom. One group was most likely from the first century period and the other group is for our day. Both groups have to go through the tribulation period of which there is a king of the north which especially takes the lead in “killing” the holy people of God – See Daniel 7:25; 8;11;12 and Revelation 6:9-11 comments and the book of Lamentations.
Revelation 11:4 ( ) – Reference Zechariah 4:11-14
Revelation 11:5,6 This appears to be the prophetic stinging messages of Jehovah’s people while in “sackcloth”. See Revelation 8:7 thru 9:19 and 10:8-11 comments. Prophets of old such as Elijah and Moses performed literal feats as mentioned here.
Revelation 11:7 ( ) The holy people are “killed” by the wild beast – See Daniel 12:7. They have been tested fully as their companions had been – Revelation 6:9-11.
Revelation 11:8-10 ( ) The “corpses” are on open display to their enemies who now rejoice – The stinging prophetic work of this group is legally “killed” for a literal three and a half days – Very similar to Jonah in a death-like state in the belly of the big fish. This would correspond with the first literal approximate three days of the 45 day period commented upon in Daniel 12:11-12. This would correspond with Daniel 12:7 as noted. The Holy People have their power dashed to pieces. The tribulation for God’s people is basically over. Their worship has now been straightened out and tested. Now it is time for the great tribulation of the nations!
Revelation 11:11-13 ( ) Just after approximate three literal days (Hosea 6:1-3), a great sign or signs show God’s protection and favor on his “two witnesses” who were “killed”. The people of the nations “go crazy” because repentance including the showing of servitude and glory to Jehovah – on their part – means their very lives! – See comments for verses 8-10. This is a most fitting time for the people that the “Harlot” that sits upon her people is destroyed “in one hour” (Revelation chapters 17 and 18). The phrase “come on up here” could refer to the invitation for God’s holy ones to be judged before Jehovah to be worthy and/or it could include a visible sign such as Elijah and Elisha experienced (2 Kings 2:9-12,23). See What happens when Jesus comes?
Revelation 11: 14-18 ( ) This appears to take place during the 45 day period at day 1,335 . Notice verse 19 comments. See Revelation 14:14-20; 19:11-21)
Revelation 11:18 “ruining the earth” the word translated here as “ruining” is Literally “corrupting through” – Ref. note. See also Revelation 19:2.
Revelation 11:19 “And the temple [sanctuary] of God that is in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen in his temple [sanctuary]. And there occurred lightnings and voices and thunders and an earthquake and a great hail.” It appears that this is a clue to figuring out the timing of this vision by referencing what appears to be the same event at Revelation 15:5
John describes a war in heaven in which Michael and his angels battle with the dragon and his angels. Michael prevails and the great dragon who is called Satan and misleads the entire earth is hurled out of heaven to the earth!
Revelation 12:6 “And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and sixty days.” This happens at the start of the 1,290 day period in Daniel 12:7,11. This is a time of testing of God’s servants – See comments for Revelation 11:2-4 and Zechariah 5:5-11
Revelation 12:7-9 Occurs basically at the same time as 12:6.
Revelation 12:10-12 ( ) This occurs basically at the same time as 12:6. However, verse 11 talks about the first group of the “two witnesses” not the holy ones yet to undergo trials – see comments for Revelation 6:9-11.
Revelation 12:13-14 pictures Satan restricted to the earth and Jehovah removing his spirit from his people by the “woman” fleeing into the wilderness. This may be the same thing as mentioned in Zechariah 5:9-11.
Revelation 12:15-17 “And the serpent disgorged water like a river from its mouth after the woman, to cause her to be drowned by the river. But the earth came to the woman’s help, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed up the river that the dragon disgorged from its mouth. And the dragon grew wrathful at the woman, and went off to wage war with the remaining ones of her seed, who observe the commandments of God and have the work of bearing witness to Jesus.” // All the verses happen during the same time period (three and a half times). Actually it appears that verse 17 repeats what is mentioned in verses 15 and 16. They simply seem to be the same thing. This “disgorged water” are attempts by Satan to destroy the remaining of God’s holy people but they find protection (“the earth came to the woman’s help”) among some people and possibly laws of the nations. See the attitudes found at Daniel 7:25 and Isaiah 16:4.
Here we are introduced to what John describes as a 7 headed beast with ten horns.
Revelation 13:1 ( ) “blasphemous names” could easily denote blasphemous actions. The “heads” or “horns” would represent kingdoms or possibly groups of kingdoms.
Revelation 13:2 ( ) It is interesting how this wild beast encompasses characteristics of the first three beasts mentioned in Daniel 7:4-6 (Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece (possibly with Rome)) However, it may be depicting the descendant nations of the previous world powers or just similar qualities. When taking into consideration Daniel’s account of this beast along with this account, it seems that it represents Satan’s entire kingdom of human governments. Different “horns” represent different kingdoms.
Revelation 13:2 where it mentions “And the dragon gave to [the beast] its power and its throne and great authority.” This most likely occurs as soon as Satan is “hurled” to the earth (Revelation 12:7,13). An unprecedented amount of authority is given to it – most likely more then what was given to the king of the north in the first century mainly due to the dragon being “restricted” to the earth. Because “the dragon” gives the wild beast its throne, anyone “worshiping” (or doing service for) would be considered serving a god rather then Jehovah.
Revelation 13:3 “And I saw one of its heads as though slaughtered to death, but its death-stroke got healed…” It is hard to say when this takes place. Taking into consideration what Daniel describes as the wild beast for our day and the conflicts between its kingdoms, this could represent a kingdom that was “on the verge or death” being revived. So it most likely would not represent the king of the north because he is not conquered until his end and he does not recover (Daniel 7;11). It is a slim possibility that this “head as though slaughtered to death” could represent the kingdom of Israel (Including Jerusalem). This “slaughtered” head most likely would not represent America because of the greatness of the injury. For our near future, Daniel 11 does show some victory of the king of the north over the king of the south but not to this degree. (It is also possible for Israel to be a “king of the south” but it would not be a principle one) This “slaughtered to death” could be a financial slaughtering – it is a possibility but I believe a slim one. It could be Israel or another nation coming back from defeat from the king of the north the the aid of other nations before the end of the king of the north. – Time will tell. Could be ISIS. Who knows?
Revelation 13:4 ( ) It seems that the “wild beast” has “heads” that fight against one another. That is some represent different national interests but they all belong to the same political time period. The phrase “Who is like the wild beast, and who can do battle with it?” can indicate a show of force has been exercised. Perhaps the king of the north is “pushed back” or “stopped” by the principle part of the wild beast (Most likely the United Nations or a large group of nations), for a time (until the king of the north pushes again – but to his end – Daniel 11:40-45 comments).
Revelation 13:5-8 “And a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies was given it, and authority to act forty-two months was given it.” This is certainly the complete worldly political system of our day – not just “the king of the north”(vs.7b “and authority was given it over every tribe and people and tongue and nation”) – whether they fight with one another or not. The timing of the given authority to act forty-two months (Three and a half years) seems to begin with the destruction or conquering of Jerusalem. It also wages war with the holy ones (see comments for Revelation 17:14) and speaks blasphemies against God (possibly by speaking against God’s holy ones). For those who “worship” it, they render it service to support its objective of “killing” or “wage war” and “conquer” Jehovah’s “holy ones” thus they willingly mark themselves as worshippers or servants of Satan’s throne. (see 13:17). This “worship” (could also be defined as: “to give aid to” or “serve”) could – but does not have to be – something as simple as a type of “tax”. If that were to happen, a person of God would rather be “restricted” as Paul was – rather then to render a service to this wild beast.
Revelation 13:8 Notice that referring to a scroll related to those who serve this wild beast; “… all those who dwell on the earth will worship it; the name of not one of them stands written in the scroll of life of the Lamb who was slaughtered, from the founding of the world.” -This is the same beast described at Revelation 17:8.
Revelation 13:9-10 “..Here is where it means the endurance and faith of the holy ones.” The holy ones will need endurance to “conquer” (or “prove faithful”) this wild beast. This is the three and a half times.
Revelation 13:11-13 “And I saw another wild beast ascending out of the earth..” This beast has a different beginning, “the earth”, then the wild beast mentioned in verse 1. Notice verse 11: “… And it had two horns like a lamb, but it began speaking as a dragon.” – This highly indicates a dual world power (This is based upon other visions and their descriptions with “horns”) that began to have great power (like at the end of World War 2). This beast evidently exists at the/or about same time as the wild beast of the nations (vs.7) when it is stated “in its sight” (vs.12). Verse 12 also shows that this other dual-horned beast is the force behind making “the earth and those who dwell in it worship the first wild beast…”. It makes most sense that this is the dual world power of America and the British kingdoms.
Revelation 13:13 “And it performs great signs, so that it should even make fire come down out of heaven to the earth in the sight of mankind.” – This “fire” could be what is mentioned in verse 14. I personally believe it could mean literally prophesy – and the prophesy would come true. That is another reason why it is important to be able to distinguish between a true and false prophet. This “fire” could also represent literal military might or something else.
Revelation 13:14 “And it misleads those who dwell on the earth, because of the signs that were granted it to perform in the sight of the wild beast…” This beast is also identified as the “false prophet” (See Revelation 19:20) – It misleads people into false worship (“worship” is also known as “service”)
Revelation 13:14 “… while it tells those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the wild beast that had the sword-stroke and yet revived.” Images were and are used in acts of false worship. In this case, “to make an image” may denote the promoting of the means to “worship” or to “serve” the first wild beast which would include supporting its warring (or any opposition) against the holy ones and speaking against Jehovah (Revelation 13:5-8 comments) Reflecting on what Jesus mentioned in John 14:9 “He that has seen me has seen the Father [also]…” and what Hebrews 1:3 states: “He is the reflection of [his] glory and the exact representation of his very being, and he sustains all things by the word of his power..” – it is also possible that the image of the wild beast be represented not just by an organization of nations but also by a principle leader or leaders.
Revelation 13:15-17 “And there was granted it to give breath to the image of the wild beast, so that the image of the wild beast should both speak and cause to be killed all those who would not in any way worship the image of the wild beast. And it puts under compulsion all persons, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free and the slaves, that they should give these a mark in their right hand or upon their forehead, and that nobody might be able to buy or sell except a person having the mark, the name of the wild beast or the number of its name.” This shows the intensity of Satan’s will to destroy Jehovah’s holy people by trying to force everyone to submit to his (Satan’s) will. This “cause to be killed” could very easily be symbolic such as being barred from doing business or buying something or it could include the real thing too – See Revelation 20:4b comments. However, for any of God’s people who are “in sackcloth”, Satan would only need one act of servitude to “mark” someone – This could be in the form of a king telling the “two witnesses” that all they would have to do is sign a piece of paper or pay some type of fee – with the deceptive reasoning such as “if you do this – just once – we will allow you to worship your God freely!”. Watch out! -See Daniel 11:32.
Revelation 13:18 Comments and speculation on the number of the beast 666: It is interesting that the wild beast mentioned in Rev. 13:11 speaks as a dragon and gives life “to the image” of the wild beast (Revelation 13:1-8) – There are two separate “beasts” working here on a common campaign. It seems that this campaign time frame is listed as 666. It can be calculated as 666*2 (because of two beasts with same thought) = 1,332. This is very close to the the time from when (according to Daniel) the beginning of the last time period of the nations begin – That is, it begins with the fall of the literal Jerusalem, includes the fall of the king of the north and the 45 “days to repent”. Daniel puts the completed days at 1,335 days, the primary end of the wicked. One could say that it would be the end of Armageddon. Just like the end of the flood.
Revelation 14:1 “And I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads.” // This helps to confirm how the “Lamb”, the “Father”, and the “hundred and forty-four thousand” are separate. – See Jehovah’s organization link.
Revelation 14:1-5 seems to describe the first group of the 144,000 (“two witnesses” – See Revelation 11:2-3; 6:9-11; 21:16b-17a comments) because it appears that the events of the entire chapter happen in order. Although the thought that this group in these verses is not identified as “not receiving” the mark of the beast does not resolve the matter. However, see the comments in Revelation 15:2; 20:4 where I believe it shows the two groups together – With one of them partly identified as “who had not received the mark” (20:4). See also Revelation 7:3-8 comments.
- Revelation 14:4a “These are the ones that did not defile themselves with women; in fact, they are virgins.” // Denoting that spiritually they are pure not defiling themselves with apostate or foreign wives serving other gods – Compare Ezekiel 44:15-22. The phrase “they are virgins”, could denote different things. It is possible it could denote their spiritual purity (being forgiven by Jehovah) and that they would be virgins from the standpoint that they are to make up the “bride” of Jesus.
- Revelation 14:4b,c “These are the ones that keep following the Lamb no matter where he goes. These were bought from among mankind as firstfruits to God and to the Lamb” // This identifies the first of the “two witnesses” as spoken of in Revelation 11:1-3. Compare Zechariah 5:8; 1 Corinthians 15:23; Revelation 6:9-11
Revelation 14:6-12 happens during the 45 day period.
Revelation 14:6-7 ( ) Here is where the nations see great signs and they realize they need to repent and submit in order to survive the upcoming time of the wrath of God (Revelation 11:11-13 comments)
Revelation 14:8 It seems that the nations of people, in their eagerness to show repentance and submission, destroy Babylon the Great. The Great harlot most definitely “marked” (see Revelation 13:14-17 comments) herself too by serving the wild beast in “killing” God’s holy people.
Revelation 14:9-12 Is a proclaimed fact that the nations have been “tormented” with when the “two witnesses” prophesied. This partial group of the “two witnesses” was helped to be “killed” by anyone who bore the beasts mark (Revelation 11; 13:15-18)
Revelation 14:13 Those who were “killed” or “died” have been fully tested and now the testing is done and the nations know for a certainty that they are God’s holy people. They can “rest.” This starts at the beginning of the 45 day period.
Revelation 14:14-20 Jesus has arrived in kingdom might and starts the separating work of those who have submitted and do not bear the mark of the beast from the ones who bear the mark of the beast along with any who do not submit (See Revelation 11:16-18; 19:11-21)
Revelation 15:1 starts us off in a different time period as brought out in verse 2 (which takes place during the 45 day period)
Revelation 15:2 “And I saw what seemed to be a glassy sea mingled with fire, and those who come off victorious from the wild beast and from its image and from the number of its name standing by the glassy sea, having harps of God.” – Compare THE NEW ENGLISH BIBLE (1971); “I saw what seemed a sea of glass shot with fire, and beside the sea of glass, holding the harps which God had given them, were those who had won the victory over the beast and its image and the number of its name.” – I prefer the later rendering of the verse because it makes this difficult verse easier to understand on how it harmonizes with prophetic events. This “sea of glass shot with fire” represents the second group of “the two witnesses”. They have just been “killed” by Satan’s wild beast. They have “conquered it”. They just have been fully tested and cleansed and are standing beside the first group of the “two witnesses” when the “seven bowls of the anger of God” get poured into the earth (Revelation 16:1 comments). They were just “made alive” after being “killed” or “dead” for 3 days and were accepted by Jehovah with any past sins (most likely of apostasy) wiped away. So now both groups are together.
- The understanding of the text is important. Because if one thinks this is only talking about the first group, it puts different emphasis on what may or may not be literal in the following verses. Especially in Revelation 16:12 where it could be thought to be referring to the end of the king of the north for our day (Daniel 11:44-45) and even Revelation 16:16.
Revelation 15:5 “And after these things I saw, and the sanctuary of the tent of the witness was opened in heaven, and the seven angels with the seven plagues emerged from the sanctuary” – This “tent of the witness” is also translated as “the TEMPLE of the TABERNACLE of the TESTIMONY” – EMPHATIC DIAGLOTT.
Revelation 15:5-16:21 Refer to the pouring out of “the seven bowls of the anger of God” (16:1) by “the seven angels” (15:6)
- Revelation 16:1-11 Refer to the first five “bowls of the anger of God.” The time frame for this is the 45 day period – Because the “two witnesses” are joined in heaven (Revelation 15:2) and Revelation 16:12 seems to explain events just before Michael stands up in judicial power. Just as Moses performed miracles similar to these, most of these can be literal. The “great crowd” will be protected. Notice how many do not repent although they see miracles – It is like Pharaoh in Moses day. It would be the unrepentant who would gather together to fight Michael in “the war of the great day of God the Almighty”- see comments for Revelation 16:14b; 16:16.
- Revelation 16:10 “And the fifth one poured out his bowl upon the throne of the wild beast. And its kingdom became darkened, and they began to gnaw their tongues for [their] pain”. This term “darkened” is defined by Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words (1984) page 145 as: “to darken,” is used (a) of the heavenly bodies, Revelation 9:2; 16:10″. This is most likely literal.
- Revelation 16:12 “And the sixth one poured out his bowl upon the great river Euphrates, and its water was dried up, that the way might be prepared for the kings from the rising of the sun.” // “the kings from the rising of the sun” would denote those new kings with Jesus. We also see Babylon’s water dried up – her defenses are gone. In this case, it seems that Babylon’s organization is destroyed by man because God put it into their hearts.
- Revelation 16:13-16 ( ) . This “Har-Magedon” is a literal and righteous war between Jesus himself and any who have not submitted or repented. This takes place during the 45 day period after Michael stands up. Notice that in verses 14 and 16, they are gathered (or prepared themselves) “to the war” – This “war” does not happen until the seventh angel pours out his bowl of the anger of God. – Compare Psalms 2:1-3
- Revelation 16:14b An alternate rendering from the EMPAHTIC DIAGLOTT – as it is directly from the Greek language: “… to-gather-together them for the war of-the day of-that of-the great of-the God of-the almighty.” (hyphens have been added – I recommend seeing this in the publication so one can understand it more clearly – I have attempted to type it in as it is in the book, but it is not “perfectly possible” due to keyboard restrictions.
- Revelation 16:17 “…It has come to pass!” This may denote that Satan finally lost all his authority in heaven and on earth by him being bound and his political element “dashed to pieces” (Genesis 3:15 (because I believe Jehovah destroys Satan himself))
- Revelation 16:19 “.. and Babylon the Great was remembered in the sight of God, to give her the cup of the wine of the anger of his wrath.” – It seems that although the organization of Babylon the Great was destroyed by the people (God put it in their minds to do that. Plus, it was the financial gain that people were going to miss as they saw her destroyed – not the people), many of her “former” members remain to be judged by Jesus to fully complete the destruction of the harlot. Time will tell.
Revelation 17:1-6 Identifying “Babylon the Great” – Compare Jeremiah 51:57
To identify the “wild beast” in Revelation 17:
Revelation 17:8 “The wild beast that you saw was, but is not, and yet is about to ascend out of the abyss, and it is to go off into destruction. And when they see how the beast was, but is not, and yet will be present, those who dwell on the earth will wonder admiringly, but their names have not been written upon the scroll of life from the founding of the world.” – An important clue is that “their names have not been written upon the scroll of life” is similar and most likely the same scroll mentioned at Revelation 13:8 and the same beast. Another important clue is to the time period that this descending and ascending takes place: “those who dwell on the earth will wonder admiringly, but their names have not been written upon the scroll of life from the founding of the world.”. “Those who dwell on the earth” are shown not to have their names written on this scroll of life. The time period of this “scroll” is given as “from the founding of the world”- And it continues into the time period of the vision which is when this beast goes “off into destruction”. So, the time period for “those who dwell on the earth” covers a long period of time. // This also shows the love of Jehovah’s arranging for Jesus’ sacrifice and the “two groups of ” sacrifices of his holy people to pronounce certain judgment against Satan’s rulership – so that – “those who dwell on the earth” have an opportunity to have their names written in the “scroll of life” – See Jehovah’s rulership.
- Revelation 17:8a “The wild beast that you saw was, but is not, and yet is about to ascend out of the abyss, and it is to go off into destruction…” This wild beast is the political powers that Satan uses in both time periods to “kill” Jehovah’s holy people. That is, back in the first century when Jerusalem was destroyed, then it gradually went into “the abyss” (Daniel 11:19,20 Rome’s uneventful demise – But in the time of the writing of Revelation, the king of the north (Rome – the political power Satan used) had already done most of its work by scattering Jehovah’s people and destroying Jerusalem and putting many to test. Gradually, Rome faded away. But the appearance of the “beast” in this vision – in the stream of time – is most important) This beast ascends out of the abyss by receiving authority over Jehovah’s holy people for a second time (Remember, concerning the first time, when Jesus told Simon that “Satan has demanded to have YOU men to sift YOU as wheat” (Luke 22:31)) – This occurs when Jerusalem is destroyed (or conquered) by the king of the north again (Daniel 11:31)
Revelation 17:10-11 “And there are seven kings: five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet arrived, but when he does arrive he must remain a short while. And the wild beast that was but is not, it is also itself an eighth [king], but springs from the seven, and it goes off into destruction”. The identification of the beast is done so we will attempt to identify these kings. I agree with the illustration in the Revelation Its Grand Climax At Hand book on page 252 that shows “The Succession of Seven World Powers” as being Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, Rome, and Anglo-America . I believe the phrase “but springs from the seven” can be translated “but owes its existence to the seven.” – Ref. footnote. This succession of world powers agrees with the “immense image” at Daniel 2.
Revelation 17:12-14 “And the ten horns that you saw mean ten kings, who have not yet received a kingdom, but they do receive authority as kings one hour with the wild beast. These have one thought, and so they give their power and authority to the wild beast. These will battle with the lamb, but, because he is Lord of lords and King of kings, the Lamb will conquer them. Also, those called and chosen and faithful with him [will do so].”
- Revelation 17:12 The phrase “ten kings” seems to indicate a completeness of the kings of the earth. But who knows? Things become more clear as time goes on.
- Revelation 17:12 The phrase “one hour” seems to indicate a brief time.
- Revelation 17:13 The phrase “one thought” is generally defined in verse 14; to “battle with the Lamb.” This is when Michael stands up and the remaining ones of the bride class are gathered and brought “up” with their other brothers.
- Revelation 17:14 The phrase “conquer them” does not mean Jesus destroying his enemies. Rather God’s holy people are “killed” by Satan’s kingdom in order to conquer it – as Jesus did. – See Revelation chapters 2 and 3 comments; Revelation 3:21; 6:11; 11:7; 12:17; 13:5,7,15; 14:12,13; Daniel 7:21 (concerning the king of the north’s actions for our near future); Matthew 25:40 comments. This is during the three and a half year time period. This should not be confused with “Har-Magedon” at Revelation 16:16 or Revelation 19:19.
Revelation 17:16 shows us how the nations turn and “completely” destroy the harlot
Revelation 17:17 This happens during the 45 day of repentance.
Revelation 18:1-8 Describes the harlot and her demise as happening “in one day”. This also happens during the 45 day period. This harlot is the primary instrument of Satan to keep people from learning about or serving Jehovah properly – That is most likely why there is so much rejoicing when she is destroyed.
- Revelation 18:4-8 describes the basic information that the nations will find out when they realize that they just “killed” God’s holy people. They will “go crazy” (my terminology) in destroying the harlot so as not “to receive part of her plagues” (vs.4). This also happens during the 45 day period. See Revelation 16:17-21 comments.
Revelation 18:9-19 The different groups of people all stand at a distance when the harlot is destroyed because; “because Jehovah God, who judged her, is strong.” (vs.8)
Revelation 18:21 “And a strong angel lifted up a stone like a great millstone and hurled it into the sea, saying: “Thus with a swift pitch will Babylon the great city be hurled down, and she will never be found again.” – See Jeremiah 51:63,64
Revelation 19:2b “For he has executed judgment upon the great harlot who corrupted the earth with her fornication, and he has avenged the blood of his slaves at her hand.” Compare this “corrupted the earth” with Revelation 11:18 footnote “corrupting through“.
Revelation 19:6 “a great crowd” – See also Revelation 7:9-10, 13-17.
Revelation19:7,8 ( )
Revelation 19:11 This “white horse” and its rider is Jesus. This is most likely not the white horse of the “four horsemen” – see comments of Revelation 6:1-8.
Revelation 19:11-21 (See also Revelation 14:14-21; 11:16-18) Michael “stands up” (Daniel 12:1,2).
Revelation 19:15b “He treads too the winepress of the anger of the wrath of God the Almighty.” Comment: I personally think the “too” in this verse does not belong and it makes things not so clear. The Emphatic Diaglott words it this way; “…and He treads the WINEPRESS of the WINE of the INDIGNATION of the WRATH of GOD“. This “winepress” also reminds me of the gathering (or separating) work – See Revelation 14:14-20 comments.
Revelation 19:17-21 describe “the great evening meal of God” resulting from Jesus destroying any who oppose him. This includes the wild beast (Revelation 17), false prophet (Revelation 13:12 also known as the king of the south for our time (Daniel 11), “those who received the mark of the wild beast and those who render worship to its image” – See Revelation 13 comments. This begins right away in the “1,336” day period. This is a different time period and “war” then “Har-Magedon” – See Revelation 16:13-16 comments.
Revelation 20:1-3 “Satan” is “bound … for a thousand years.” – This is most likely executed immediately before the events of Revelation 19:17-21. This assumption is based upon the principle that Jesus mentioned at Matthew 12:29 (Strong man). See Isaiah 24:21-23
Revelation 20:4: ( )
- Revelation 20:4a “And I saw thrones, and there were those who sat down on them, and power of judging was given them .” (See also Revelation 14:1-5; 7:3-8 comments)
- Revelation 20:4b “Yes, I saw the souls of those executed with the ax for the witness they bore to Jesus and for speaking about God,” -This seems to be referring to the first group of the “two witnesses” – Compare Revelation 11:1
- Revelation 20:4b “…and those who had worshiped neither the wild beast nor its image and who had not received the mark upon their forehead and upon their hand.” – This seems to be referring to the second group of the “two witnesses” – See Revelation chapters 11 and 13. Esp. Revelation 11:2,3. Further comments: It appears – but does not mean it is – that a common general “testing” of each group is listed.
- Revelation 20:4c “And they came to life and ruled as kings with the Christ for a thousand years.” – Although they lived in different time periods and “came to life” at different times, they rule as kings at the same time. – See Revelation 11
Revelation 20:5 ( )
- Revelation 20:5a “(The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.)” – This seems to be describing those on earth that still need to be fully tested when Satan is unbound. This is an unusual verse because it does not seem to fit. Could it be spurious? Time will tell. At least it is not critical.
- Revelation 20:5b “This is the first resurrection.” – This seems to be referring to the “coming to life” or “standing up” (Ref. footnote) of the proven faithful of those who are to rule with Jesus in verse 20:4a,b.
Revelation 20:6 “Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first resurrection..” Although anyone will be happy to make it to this point in time (after the initial cleansing mentioned at Revelation 19:15b-21), this reminds me of Daniel 12:12.
Revelation 20:8 “… Gog and Maygog..”- See the description of the battle between Jehovah and Satan with “Gog and Maygog” at Ezekiel 38 thru 39:20
Revelation 20:8 This battle is described as “the war” and happens after the 1000 year reign of Jesus after he hands the kingdom over to his Father.
Revelation 20:11-15 This seems to be after “the war” and is similar to after the three and a half year time period in that God’s people have been tested. It appears that in both cases, judging happens and it is based upon the stand people took during the “tribulation” period. However, in this case, it is Jehovah himself that does the judging and executing of Satan and his crowd.
Revelation 21:1-8 Describes conditions during the 1000 year reign of Jesus and what the “conquering” ones will inherit. The actual “conquering” happens before they rule with Jesus when they are fully tested – See Revelation 17:14 comments.
- Revelation 21:2 – See all of the comments for chapter 21.
Revelation 21:9-27 Describes “the bride, the Lamb’s wife” – See Isaiah 54:5,6,11-14; 62:4,5
- Revelation 21:16b-17a “And he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs; its length and breadth and height are equal. Also, he measured its wall, one hundred and forty-four cubits”
- Notice a marked difference between this “holy city of Jerusalem” and the one mentioned in Revelation 11:1-3. The one in Revelation 11:1-3 has its “courtyard that is outside the temple .. cast it clear out and do not measure it, because it has been given to the nations, and they will trample the holy city underfoot for forty-two months.” But the one mentioned in Revelation 21:15,16 does get its city measured; “… that he might measure the city and its gates and its wall. And the city lies foursquare, and its length is as great as its breadth…”
- It is also interesting how New Jerusalem is not prepared “as a bride” – that is – ready to be married to the Lamb, until she can be fully measured. Her “wall” had been “measured” (denoting being presented to Jehovah and accepted and her sins forgiven (could be referring to any sins against Jehovah (like un-pure worship whether knowingly or not)) – Zechariah 3:1-5) in Revelation 11:1-3 but she was not ready for marriage, yet. Her “courtyard” has to be (“refined” or) “straightened out” (See Malachi 4:5,6 comments) so it can be measured. – This primarily happens during the three and a half year tribulation period on earth. During this tribulation period, it is this heavenly “unprepared” bride that flees to the wilderness to wait to become fully prepared. She becomes fully prepared once her “companions” or “courtyard” can be measured. It is at this time that Revelation 21:2 takes place; “I saw also the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God and prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.” (Scriptural references abound)
- Revelation 21:18-21
- Revelation 21:22-27 Shows how true worship is continuous – the gates are not even closed. However, the wicked “will in no way enter into it”. Compare Isaiah 60:11,12,18-21; Zechariah 14:7-9; Revelation 22:1-5. See Daniel 8:11,12,13 and 1 Chronicles 23:31 (quoted in Daniel 8:11 comments) about (“the continuous [sacrifice]”)
Revelation 22:2 Shows us two sides of a river producing fruit for the “curing of the nations”. I believe these represent the “two witnesses” united and rendering blessings to the nations (of course, this is during the 1,000 year reign of God’s Son). See Revelation 6:9-11 comments
Revelation 22:3-5 Shows us that the spiritual light of pure worship is continuous – compare Revelation 21:22-27 comments
Revelation 22:6,7 “And he said to me: “These words are faithful and true; yes, Jehovah the God of the inspired expressions of the prophets sent his angel forth to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. And, look! I am coming quickly. Happy is anyone observing the words of the prophesy of this scroll.” I honestly think that now I am able to help other servants of Jehovah to understand Revelation much more clearly including understanding the urgent need to make things straight. (Malachi 3:4,5) The EMPHASIZED BIBLE translates it this way; “And he said unto me- ||These words|| are faithful and true; and ||the Lord the God of the spirits of the prophets|| hath sent his messenger to point out unto his servants the things which must needs come to pass with speed. And- Lo! I come speedily! |Happy| is he that keepeth the words of the prophesy of this scroll.” // Also compare Malachi 3:1
Revelation 22:6,20 EMPHATIC DIAGLOTT: “And he said to me, “These WORDS are faithful and true; and the Lord GOD of the SPIRITS of the PROPHETS sent his ANGEL to show to his SERVANTS what it is necessary to have done speedily.” ; “HE who TESTIFIES these things says, “Yes, I am coming speedily.” Amen! Come! Lord Jesus.”
Revelation 22:20 “He that bears witness of these things says, ‘Yes; I am coming quickly.’ ” – Along with (Revelation 22:7), by deductive reasoning (and with hardly the ability to type (Wow!)), JESUS IS COMING QUICKLY! // According to the ABINGDON’S STRONG’S EXHAUSTIVE CONCORDANCE OF THE BIBLE, the term “bears witness” is derived from the Greek word numbered as 3140 which basically means to give evidence, to be a witness, testify, bear record, bear witness, give witness, obtain witness.
Personal comments: For those who do not think Revelation is inspired: In my opinion, it certainly is beyond doubt, inspired. I have never read something so well put together – never. It draws on prophesy throughout the inspired scriptures and puts it together. In many ways, it complements and “finishes” many prophesies for our day. Only with unadulterated understanding of other inspired scriptures can it be understood. This would lend its understanding to true lovers of Jehovah – those seeking His righteousness – not their own or their father’s. In my opinion and I believe it to be true, the book of Revelation could only have been inspired by a “genius of geniuses” – which is far above normal human ability.